Welcome to More to Mum!
Hi, I’m Louise.
I’m here to bring mums heartfelt inspiration and advice to reveal the best version of themselves.
I want to help you:
- believe that being you is enough (and amazing)
- feel confident in your choices and be able to back yourself
- look after yourself well so that you can give your best to your family.
By encouraging and guiding you to take manageable steps to develop a helpful mindset, look after yourself and better manage the practical side of life.
A little about me:
- Born in Scotland, raised and living in Australia
- Wife to Jason (we met at work when he came to inform me that I was creating a major problem for him. Guess he fixed that!)
- Mum to one spunky little toddler son and step mum to three fantastic young adults.
- Mad about strong tea, healthy eating, running, handbags, getting crafty, travelling, planning parties, buying presents, musicals and learning new things!
This is my story…
At 4am on a Thursday morning, nearly 6 weeks before my due date, I said to my husband
‘I think my waters just broke… I have to go to work tomorrow!’
I’m sure you can imagine his response.
And then I…
- Snuck my work laptop into the car
- Discretely asked for the hospital wifi password, and
- Enlisted the midwife to convince my husband to let me work while I was waiting for my obstetrician (don’t worry I wasn’t actually in labour at that time but my son did arrive shortly after midnight).
He said “but you don’t have your laptop”.
Crazy you say?
I loved my corporate career for 16 years. As a coach, leader, facilitator, mentor and strategist I helped all sorts of people get energised about what they could do and take steps towards being and accomplishing more.
I really believed I’d be back in the office after a year of maternity leave.
But that spunky little boy transformed my heart and priorities.
New plan: to figure out a new plan.
Not long in a new city, I was on a mission to meet other mums. While making some amazing friends it struck me how every mum (including me) is struggling in some way. We’re all searching for help to navigate the biggest learning curve we’ve ever experienced.
So much changes when we become mums; our priorities, the skills and knowledge we need, our daily life and routines, our relationships, the way we see ourselves, our physical appearance, our future plans, our coping strategies and even our heart and emotions.
Nothing can totally prepare us, so we’re learning on the run. And even when we find an answer that’s smart and current, it’s easy to doubt ourselves, or be overwhelmed by unhelpful advice, opinions or comparisons.
I decided I would bring my heart and skills to help mums who need inspiration and simple, actionable learning to help them reveal the best version of themselves in this phase of life.
And so More to Mum began.
There’s always more to each of us than initially meets the eye. We all have things we wish we were better at, could manage with less stress or spend less time on. Things that don’t make us feel great about ourselves and the way we’re managing life. Things that make us feel like we aren’t being the best version of ourselves.
I have those things too.
Let me help you tackle those things. I’m right in there with you, in the midst of motherhood, managing all the changes it brings.
The best version of yourself is already inside you. You just have to do the work to reveal it!
You’re worth the effort. And so is your family.
Are you with me?
Start with these articles:
I’m a pretty open person. I welcome questions about myself and happily share stories about my life. I’m willing to put myself and my thoughts online after all! But I nearly didn’t tell you that I’ve been divorced. It wasn’t a conscious choice at first. It’s simply a...read more
I moved from Sydney to Melbourne a few years ago. In doing so, I left behind my dearest friends who’d been by my side through the ups and downs of life. Friends who are good for my soul and who I couldn’t imagine not seeing regularly. But I knew that our friendships...read more
One of my favourite things about being a mum is that I can sing and dance my way through the day with my son. We delight in making up silly songs and actions, singing about the routine things we’re doing, and turning the music up to dance around the house. I often...read more